Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Nails

Happy New Year's Eve Eve!!

So... I wanted to show off my New Year's mani, which was to be the flyyest (yep, two "y"s!) mani of the year.

HOWEVER!

Spoiler Alert: it's not :-(

I've been working on this nail art for hours throughout the day, but things just kept going wrong. I wanted to do a sort of sampler- a gradient nail, a glitter nail, a 2013 nail, a half- moon mani, maybe a NYE countdown ball, and a countdown nail, featuring numbers 10-1... so many plans. So. many. plans.


This manicure was so full of struggle, y'all.

I used Rimmel's 420 Midnight Blue as the theme of this mani. It's a shimmery, almost-black navy blue. I bought it a couple years ago when I first started my polish adventures. It was my intention to use it to decorate my nails festively for... New Years 2011! My friend, Rachael, and I went to a NYE party at a bowling alley/ bar where The Roots were helping is ring in the new year RIGHT!

Much like this foray, my original attempt was a disaster.

Let's start with the thumb.


I used Orly's Sashay My Way to top Midnight Blue. That part was fine. I decided to get fancy and used my brand new e.l.f. Matte Finisher top coat. That's where things began to go horribly wrong. The topcoat cracked upon application, giving my nail a crackle effect.

For the record, I was NOT going for a crackle effect.

On to the pointer!



This nail was originally supposed to be the half-moon mani nail, but things went horribly wrong somewhere along the road. I ended up doing a tape mani which didn't turn out half bad. The base is one of my new favorite polishes, Milani's 3D Holographic in 509 HD.

Please don't think I'm rude... if this blog were on TV the next image would be pixelated...


Also, my middle finger is a little weird. Just noticed that.

Anyway, I did a little gradient with Ulta Professional Nail in 14K. It came out kinda cool looking. This is the only nail I didn't have to redo or rescue in some weird way.


This is another fail nail^3.

The first attempt featured me writing 2013 with one of my fancy new metallic gold Sharpie markers. Everything was going fine until I tried to topcoat it with the e.l.f. Matte Finisher. The topcoat wiped the 2013 right off.

Undaunted, I acetone'd my nail and slathered on another coat of Midnight Blue. My intention was to recreate the Times Square glittery light ball that they drop on NYE to bring in the new year. I decided to use one of those paper hole protecter things to get the ball perfectly round. I used Milani HD for the ball. It was gonna be so boss. When I pulled the protecter off, a little of the base color came off with it.

After drying my tears, I decided to go with my original plan, a simple 2013, no topcoat. I felt so smart- I felt like I beat the system. I decided to use a little moisturizer to make my hands not look like I've been throwing clay pots all day. When I looked at my freshly moisturized paws, 2013 was gone. I was too defeated to try anything else.


This nail was supposed to be like confetti. It kinda does, I suppose. I used Spoiled's Trust Fund Baby and Wet n' Wild's Party of Five Glitters. I also attempted to the Matte Finisher (when will I learn????), but ended up turning to my ever faithful Seche Vite.

Well, polishists, there you have it. My last mani of 2012, also a complete fail. I can only take this as a sign that things will only go up from here!!

Have you ever failed so hard on high- stakes nail art? What happened? How did you save it?


Happy 2013, everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment