Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Walking on the Wild Side

Hello, Polishists!

How are you doing? Were you snowed in like me and much of the rest of the Northeast? Thankfully, I was safe and sound. Being cabin-bound gave me loads of time to relax, watch old episodes of The Wire (I had never watched it before... someone write me a late pass! It's soooo good!), and, of course, do my nails.

Cobalt blue has been one of the hottest colors in fashion for a little while now. I LOVE cobalt blue and have several CB clothing items in my closet. I've been seeing the pairing of cobalt blue and animal prints around lately, and I adore the combination. Since I was going to be out of work for a few days, I decided to do an NSFW manicure. No... not like that... just probably not what you would expect from a professional in an office setting. Anyway, enough suspense. On to the nails.



For the zebra stripes, I used Sally Hansen's Salon Effects in Wild Child. The Salon Effects are nail-shaped stickers that you apply to your nails in lieu of painting them. They're pretty cool and pretty easy to use. The Salon pack comes with nail strips of different sizes and a mini orange stick and nail file. You first apply the sticker onto your nail, cut and file the nail down to the correct size, and then finish it off with a top coat. I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri No Chip Top Coat.



The cobalt blue is also a favorite of mine. It's good ol' Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Co-Bolt Blue. It's a rich cobalt with silver and blue shimmer. It's opaque in one coat and dries pretty quickly.



The black polish is Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure in Onyx. Onyx is a bit watery, but I was satisfied with its opacity after two coats. It's a no-frills flat black that I recommend as a Polishist staple.

Both Co-Bolt Blue and Onyx dry with a shiny finish, but I wanted to change things up a bit so I used a matte top coat. Now, I've been burned by matte topcoats in the past. But, I figured something out: matte coats are not like your average shiny topcoat that you can just slap on a couple minutes after your second coat. This time, I waited until the polish dried completely, then applied the topcoat. Success!



The topcoat I used was Gosh Matte Effect Top Coat. I love it! It's a little streaky, but matte coats tend to be unforgiving. I did this mani a couple of days ago and there has been minimal signs of wear- even on the tips.

I'm overall quite pleased with my wild side mani! Now, back to The Wire!

Are there any trends that you've been late on?

2 comments:

  1. your nails look so much better in person. Good job though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Count Baqula! I will work on getting my photography is life-like as possible!

      Delete