Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Clouds Tutorial

It's been a long time...

... shouldn't have left you...

... without some dope nails to ... paint to? I dunno. I thought I had something there, but I've failed.

How are you, dear Polishists? I hope you are all doing well. Life is getting pretty crazy in this Polishist's world... but all good things! Like this tutorial!


By popular demand, I am very excited to bring you my first tutorial!

Step 1: Gather your cast of characters.


Left to right: Ulta Salon Formula Nail Lacquer Base Coat, Seche Vite Top Coat, and New York Color in Midtown Mimosa. When these powers combine, they become your supporting base!


Gap Ocean Teal and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Heat Flash: these will be the colors that form the clouds and will become the protagonists of this nail art. Be sure to pick colors that are not too similar to each other- contrast is more interesting to the eye.

Step 2: Base for your face.


Create your base by using your base coat, base color, and top coat. Peruse Instagram while you patiently wait for your base to completely dry. I used Midtown Mimosa for this step. It's an orange-juice yellow polish with a jelly finish. I am head over heals in love. I almost didn't want to do anything to do any more art on my nails because I think this color looks so good on me (if I may be so bold).

Step 3: Wanna be starting something.


Now, we start with the cloud shape. It's quite simple. First, create one stroke by starting it near the bottom of the nail. Make sure there is not too much polish in the brush, lay the tip down, let it linger for a second so that the polish drips off in a rounded tip at the edge of the brush, then slowly pull it back.

Step 4: Hit me, baby, one more time.



Repeat the first step, beginning the tip of the second stroke a little shorter than the first. Do that one or two more times, depending on your preference. Peruse Facebook while you wait for this coat to dry.

Step 5: Gimme, gimme more.


Do this again with your third color. Feel free to apply more than one coat if the color isn't poppin' like you want it to. Don't forget your top coat!

Step 6: It's clean-up time...


Use a small brush (I use a flat eyeliner brush) dipped in pure acetone (not pail polish remover! It will not work.) to clean up your stray marks. Follow up with cuticle oil or another moisturizer so your cuticles and surrounding areas don't get dry (like mine)!


And, Voila! You're done!



What do you think, Polishists? What colors are on your clouds wish list?


No comments:

Post a Comment