Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sorority Nails

Hello Polishists!!

Can you believe that we're already 2 weeks into 2013? The year is flyyying by!

Well, today was a special day for me, and my nails.

First and foremost, it's Martin Luther King Jr.'s 84th birthday!! I can't believe he would have been 84 had he been alive today. Happy birthday, Dr. King!

Second, it's my sorority's Founders Day!! Today, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. turns 105 years old! Today, sorority sisters around the world celebrate our founders, known as the 20 Pearls. Of course, I commemorated the occasion by painting my nails.

Our colors are salmon pink and apple green. Our official flower is the Pink Tea Rose, and we have also adopted pearls as another symbol of our sisterhood. I tried to artistically incorporate all of those elements into today's manicure.




I used Butter London's Bossy Boots as the background color. Bossy Boots is a pastel mint green creme. The formula is a bit runny, but goes opaque in two coats. I love mint greens, and Bossy Boots is no exception!


For the roses, I used Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri in Rose Run. It's a dusty rose creme that is completely opaque in one coat. I am a big fan of Insta-Dri, but the wide brush sometimes makes it difficult to do nail art.



I used Essie in Mojito Madness for the leaves. Mojito Madness is a kelly green creme that is pretty opaque in one coat. It is a bit runny and the applicator brush is a little small, but the color is absolutely brilliant! Love it.

Finally, I used OPI's Kyoto Pearl for the polka dots and accents in the rose. Kyoto Pearl is a delicate, sheer, pearlized white that shows up surprisingly well over Bossy Boots. I generally would not wear white nail polish by itself, but I could see myself wearing this. It's not as harsh and Wite-Out-esque as other white nail polishes.



I added outlines for an abstract look with a Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen in Black. I have not figured out how to keep this on my nails! I know I can't topcoat it, but I can't leave it naked either! It either smears or completely rubs off. Sad.



The black outlines rubbed off pretty soon after I took those pictures, leaving sad blobs of brightly colored polish all over my index and middle fingers. I work in a job that involves a little bit of pointing (of the index finger!), and I was pretty embarrassed to point with my unfinished nails. And it's awkward to try to point with another finger (ring? Impossible. pinky? weird. thumb- are you kidding?), I just had to spend the day looking like an inept polishist. Oy. #polishistproblems

What do you do when you have a nail fail? How do you cover it up... especially when you work with your hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment